Desi Sews

A blog where I will post sewing projects and other sewing related information.

Friday, May 19, 2006

My First Window Treament -

This is one of the pictures of the window valance I made for our neighborhood clubhouse. The fabric is metallic, so it's incredibly difficult to photograph. The middle piece was a remnant that the interior designer found. It's acetate, but it looks like silk. The embroidered design on it makes it look like very high end fabric. I think it retailed for $40/yd. She got a remnant of about 1yd of it for $10. She just couldn't pass it up.

We were originally thinking of piecing the valance together to make it 60 inches wide - the fabric had only about 58 inches of "usable" fabric once you trimmed the selvadges off. The piecing idea didn't work - we didn't have 2 pieces that were equally wide enough with the entire embroidered design to piece together, so I was off to Hancock's to find something for a border. I found this wonderful gold metallic fabric for $11/yd, which is pretty inexpensive in terms of home-dec fabrics. I think it turned out really well. Too bad the pictures didn't come out better than this :(

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home