Desi Sews

A blog where I will post sewing projects and other sewing related information.

Wednesday, June 07, 2006

There are 2 types of "sewers"...

I have a theory that there are 2 types of "sewers": Those who are addicted to buying fabric, machines, sergers and any other notion or toy that comes on the market. The others are content just to have a machine, know how to sew and they keep that machine for 30+ years...if they are feeling "frisky", they may spring for a serger.

Unfortunately, I am in the first group...Yes, I know that that those of you who know me personally would not be surprised at that observation. However, I'd SWORN that I wouldn't be one of those sewing fanatics with 10 machines in my basement from every decade and every machine manufacturer. I prided myself on having the 'bare necessities' - a nice, basic machine; a serger and a nice, basic embroidery machine.

It all started around Christmas time. I saw a classified ad posted at work from someone who was selling her old machine because she was upgrading. It was a huge step up for me -- this machine was completely computerized, needle up/needle down (which my 'basic' machine didn't even have) and it EVEN cut the threads for you when you were done sewing. Holy cow, what else could a girl expect????

Hmm...portability, maybe? (Did I mention that the machine is pretty large???) Here's a picture of "Big Mamma":


Ahhh....Portability....
My husband and I are avid campers and we bought a
2005 Airstream Bambi (19' model) last year to extend our camping season. I like to take sewing along with me in order to occupy my time while we're out in the great outdoors (you know, just in case it rains and we're stuck inside...)

I tried bringing along cross stitching and crocheting, but nothing could satisfy my sewing urge. My 'plain old' machine still took up a lot of room in the small camper and it was hard to fit everything I needed on the small dinette when I wanted to sew...

All I needed was a small, portable machine. If only Babylock would make one, then I could re-use my presser feet and all would be right with the world -- right?

Then along comes
this little Babylock "XScape" - it's made with portability in mind and it's so small! It's cute AND functional -- what else could a girl want? (hey, where have I heard that before?)

Here are pictures of the newest addition to my ever-growing sewing machine family:

Here's a picture of the XScape machine. It's small, but features 60+ stitches and it comes with a ton of presser feet -- many of which I didn't have yet, so that's a bonus!


The carrying case that comes with the XScape - it's ready to travel!


I wandered into the sewing machine dealer yesterday on my lunch break and low and behold I walk out with my new Xscape. Here are the pictures of my new 'baby' in the "Babylock family" and pictures of my original machine and the souped up, supercharged "Big Mamma" - she is the queen of all of my machines.

My original Babylock - my first sewing machine (awww, how cute!). I also learned to sew on this machine:





And here's "Big Mamma" (see picture above) - she is the "Mac Daddy" of my machines. She's completly computerized, she does embroidery and also trims your thread when sewing AND your jump stiches when embroidering.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home